A short history of Elim
The Elim Pentecostal Church
The Elim Pentecostal Church was founded in 1915 by a Welshman in Monaghan, Ireland. George Jeffreys was an outstanding evangelist and church planter. He had a Welsh Congregational background, was strongly influenced by the Welsh Revival of 1904, and was introduced to Pentecostalism by an Anglican vicar, Rev Alexander Boddy of Sunderland.
Between 1915 and 1934, George Jeffreys conducted evangelistic outreaches throughout the United Kingdom. His preaching was powerfully effective. Many were converted and there were many testimonies of incredible healings.
These outreaches often resulted in a new church or a group of churches being planted.
The name 'Elim' is taken from the book of Exodus. As they made their journey out of Egypt and out of slavery, the Israelites came to Elim, an oasis in the desert, where there were twelve wells of water and seventy palm trees (Exodus 15:27).
Elim started in Guernsey in the early 1920's when the now Vazon Elim Church joined the Elim movement. During the 1930's Vazon started two new Elim works in Guernsey, first Delancey Elim in 1934 and then Eldad in 1936. Eldad church took over the building of a former Congregational Church, and has been meeting there ever since.
During the years of occupation during WWII the church continued to meet, when the then pastor of Eldad, Gilbert Dunk took on responsibility for all three Elim Churches on the Island.
You can find more about Elim’s history on the Elim website